This is a 3/4-time salaried position. Paid time off is available. To apply, please submit a resume and cover letter by email to firstname.lastname@example.org by February 19, 2018. See below for complete job description or click for a downloadable PDF.
Celebrating its 58th season, the Champaign-Urbana Symphony Orchestra is the professional orchestra-in-residence at Krannert Center for the Performing Arts at the University of Illinois. CUSO is dedicated to enhancing the quality of life in our community by providing symphonic music of the highest caliber through live performances and music education in the schools, the concert hall, and the community.
CUSO is fortunate to have the leadership of Dr. Stephen Alltop, who serves on the conducting faculty of Northwestern University and is leading his fifth season as Music Director and Conductor.
Job Opening: Operations Manager
JOB TITLE: Operations Manager
REPORTS TO: Executive Director
JOB CLASSIFICATION: Part Time Exempt
JOB SUMMARY: The Operations Manager is responsible for directly administering the personnel of the orchestra, the orchestra library, and the day-to-day operation of the CUSO office. This includes application of CUSO’s Policies and Procedures, preparation and maintenance of orchestra payroll and other records, scheduling of musicians, hiring of substitute and extra musicians, and coordination of auditions along with financial recordkeeping and donation tracking. The Operations Manager serves as a liaison between the Music Director and musicians; and the administrative staff and musicians.
JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Maintain list of players suitable for hire as extras or substitutes.
- Hire extra and substitute musicians, consistent with orchestra’s artistic standards and Executive Director’s guidelines, as necessitated by repertoire and player absence.
- Contract CUSO members each summer.
- Provide all relevant and required information to musicians in advance of and during each concert cycle.
- Work with Music Director in applying the above objectives.
- Set up and strike rehearsal equipment.
- Provide five-minute call for rehearsals and notify conductor of the start and close of rehearsals.
- Log significant events in connection with rehearsals or concerts such as complaints, tardiness, failure to wear appropriate dress, and general deportment.
- Respond to conductor and musician requests, problems, and issues arising out of or in connection with an imminent service in a manner consistent with past practice and CUSO Policies and Procedures; communicate such events to the Executive Director as soon as possible for collaboration and final approval of action to be taken.
- Coordinate changes in seating, on-call musicians, and engagement of last-minute substitutes due to unscheduled absence or tardiness.
- Make personnel announcements at rehearsals as required.
- Assist Executive Director and work with Music Director and Krannert Center staff in development of season schedule.
- Advise Executive Director and Music Director regarding schedules and conditions for home services, tours, and runouts.
- Assist in drafting orchestra work rules under the direction of the Executive Director.
- Advise the Executive Director regarding the interpretation of and adherence to all contracts consistent with general professional orchestra practice, CUSO Policies and Procedures, and individual musicians’ contracts.
- Ensure that staff, musicians, and extra and substitute players receive timely and accurate compensation; track payroll variations including doubling, extra services, overtime, extra and substitute players.
- Coordinate the audition process for the replacement or addition of permanent orchestra musicians.
- Secure candidate requirements, audition schedules, and music selections from Music Director.
- Initiate appropriate recruiting strategy (such as placing ads, phoning candidates, maintaining and updating candidate lists, and providing solicitation letters).
- Distribute audition information to candidates.
- Schedule auditions, consistent with past practice, Audition Committee instructions, appropriate laws, management standards, and the CUSO Policies and Procedures.
- Coordinate candidate schedules among the Audition Committee, Music Director, and staff.
- Greet candidates and appropriately represent the CUSO.
- Record and accurately communicate audition results.
Administration & Budgeting
- Assist with the development of orchestra personnel budget.
- Adhere to budgeted limits in all areas of responsibility.
- Provide personnel list for concert programs.
- Draft recommendations, correspondence, and meeting agendas as may be assigned by the Executive Director.
- Adhere to sound financial and administrative policies and procedures and internal controls for accounting, auditing, budgeting, purchasing, inventories, payroll, and administrative services functions. Work with the Executive Director and CUSO Treasurer to implement and monitor policies, procedures, and internal controls to ensure accuracy and efficiency.
- Manage and carry out the CUSO’s daily administrative and financial activities, including financial recordkeeping, maintaining QuickBooks in an accurate and timely manner, production of financial statements, and personnel records. Also generate checks for the Executive Director to approve and the CUSO Treasurer to sign.
- Assist the Executive Director and CUSO Treasurer to prepare and submit federal, state, and local income tax forms, withholding forms, and other forms as required.
- Assist the Executive Director and CUSO Treasurer to prepare monthly financial statements and other reports as requested by Executive Director and/or Board.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Executive Director.
- Order, distribute, and return all sheet music.
- Maintain the CUSO Music Library.
- Supervise the string bowing process.
Hours and Tools Provided
- This is a 3/4 time position.
- The position is expected to require four workdays in the CUSO Office each week in addition to preparation, strike, and attendance at all CUSO rehearsals and concerts and fundraising events.
- Computer, scanner, printer, general operations supplies, and copier are provided.
- Building and office keys and email provided.